Miche

In article .com>,
"whitewater262" > wrote:

> I'm hoping that members of this forum will be able to assist me. I've
> already scoured the pages of countless gluten-free cookbooks, only to
> discover that their recipes ALL contain ingredients I'm allergic to. I
> also spoke to the Gluten-Free Pantry and a number of other
> organizations -- and they all rely on ingredients I'm allergic to.
>
> I'm allergic to gum, which includes a variety of substances often used
> in gluten free baking (locust bean gum, carob bean gum, arrowroot,
> tapioca, xylitol, vellulose, kelp and/or seaweed, and a host of other
> natural substances).
>
> I am trying to develop gluten-free bread and/or biscuit recipes that
> don't call for these problematic thickening agents. I've already
> managed to invent two pancake recipes that don't call for the usual
> onslaught of thickening agents and other ingredients. However, I could
> use some help in developing a bread or biscuit recipe. Perhpas one of
> you has already created such a recipe.
>
> Millet flour, rice flour, and quinoa are the principal flours I work
> with these days. I'm hoping to come up with a recipe that calls for
> these ingredients, plus water, some kind of oil, vitamin C, and baking
> soda.
>
> This IS possible... I just don't have enough baking experience to
> figure it out at this stage. I'd welcome any suggestions from members
> of this forum.

The reason gums are included in the recipes isn't just for thickening --
they are "gluten substitutes" that help the dough hold together, so that
the end product doesn't fall into crumbs.

If you're OK with eggs you could try increasing the amount of egg in a
recipe to see if that helps bind the dough together (or use egg
substitute, if that's suitable).

Miche

--
WWMVD?