On 16 Apr 2005 10:27:48 -0700, "whitewater262" >
wrote:

>I'm hoping that members of this forum will be able to assist me. I've
>already scoured the pages of countless gluten-free cookbooks, only to
>discover that their recipes ALL contain ingredients I'm allergic to. I
>also spoke to the Gluten-Free Pantry and a number of other
>organizations -- and they all rely on ingredients I'm allergic to.
>
>I'm allergic to gum, which includes a variety of substances often used
>in gluten free baking (locust bean gum, carob bean gum, arrowroot,
>tapioca, xylitol, vellulose, kelp and/or seaweed, and a host of other
>natural substances).
>
>I am trying to develop gluten-free bread and/or biscuit recipes that
>don't call for these problematic thickening agents. I've already
>managed to invent two pancake recipes that don't call for the usual
>onslaught of thickening agents and other ingredients. However, I could
>use some help in developing a bread or biscuit recipe. Perhpas one of
>you has already created such a recipe.
>
>Millet flour, rice flour, and quinoa are the principal flours I work
>with these days. I'm hoping to come up with a recipe that calls for
>these ingredients, plus water, some kind of oil, vitamin C, and baking
>soda.
>
>This IS possible... I just don't have enough baking experience to
>figure it out at this stage.

Hi Whitewater,

This is quite a challenge you've taken on.

I would recommend reading Shirley O. Corriher's "CookWise - The Hows
and Whys of Successful Cooking with over 230 Great-Tasting Recipes"
for a basic understanding of the roles of flours, binders and
thickening agents in cooking.

I haven't tried to develop recipes without the gums that substitute
for gluten yet (my Mom and two good friends are gluten intolerant)
but found this book useful for making what substitutions I did make.

I'd welcome any suggestions from members
>of this forum.

My first gut reaction is to try using a higher proportion of eggs or
egg yolk in your experiments. The proteins in egg yolk are excellent
binders - they are used as such in the old tempura paint techniques.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario