BillB

On 15 Apr 2005 19:19:46 -0700, krusty kritter wrote:

> Pollo al Chipotle (Chipotle Chicken)
> Ingredientes: (Ingredients
> . . .
> 2 cucharadas de consomme en polvo (2 tablespoons of powdered soup)
> 1/4 cucharada de sal (1/4 tablespoon of salt, sounds like a lot of salt)

The salt might be a little more than most people would use in a
straight recipe, but as used here in a marinade, much of it probably
would be left behind after the chicken is removed and placed in the
hot frying pan.

I didn't see where the "2 cucharadas de consomme en polvo (2
tablespoons of powdered soup)" was used, but suspect it would be
included in the casserole with the blended "onion, garlic,
chipotles, vinegar, and the water or wine". If so, this would
probably be a much greater source of salt, since it would all be
retained. Powdered soup or consomme (whether powdered, in cubes or
liquid) usually consists of about 1/4 to 1/3 salt, and two
tablespoons of it would provide far more, almost twice as much
hidden salt as the pure salt specified by the recipe. The recipe
sounds pretty good and I might try it this weekend. I have all of
the ingredients except for the garlic. The small can (La Morena, 7
oz.) I have shows "CHILPOTLE PEPPERS IN ADOBO SAUCE", and I don't
think that the spelling or the sauce will hurt the recipe.
Actually, the list of ingredients in fine print on the side also
spells it as "Chilpotle Peppers" so perhaps that's how it's spelled
region of Mexico it comes from. Or maybe it's a different variety
than chipotle.