Brett Jones

I think perhaps that you missed the basis for the corkage fee - it is to
recover a loss from a (potential, but probable) beverage sale. Your 'table
setting fee' doesn't relate, and is already built into the menu prices (to
cover the labor for whomever is setting your table).

Along the same lines, would you expect a restaurant to allow you to bring in
your own meal? Would a 'plating fee' be reasonable to you if they did?
Many restaurants *do* charge to split entrees between more than one guest -
for the same reason as the corkage fee.

Keep in mind that most restaurants are extremely lucky if their net profit
is 1% of sales.

Now that I've stated my question ... here is my answer

One casual dining restaurant I managed had a group of about 12 that came in
weekly (they sold magnets that were supposed to cure all your ails - don't
ask!). Two were on special diets and brought their own (weight watchers)
meals. I happily let them do it as long as they gave the meals to us so we
could insure that they were served at the proper temperature (I can just see
the lawsuit now ... 'I brought my own meal and got food poisoning, now I'm
suing them!'). If this had been other than a casual dining restaurant my
actions would likely have been different. In this instance, my loss was
more than made up for by the other guests at their table, and I wanted them
to feel welcomed in my establishment. If *all* of them had done it, I
certainly have charged them a 'room rental' or 'beverage service' fee.

Brett

m...