Dave Smith

Sheldon wrote:

> > Approximately 1 cup if boiled in 2 parts water. That means
> > 2 cups of water - 16 oz., about 450 grams. The rice weighs
> > a lot less than the water. There will be a little bit of
> > evaporation but most of the water is absorbed by the rice.

> You are truly a mental midget... the fact that rice absorbs water in no
> way negates the weight of the rice.... what a jerk... Dave, go jump in
> a lake, acccording to you the world would be rid of 200lbs of shit.
>
> Rice does NOT weigh a lot less than water... a cup of raw white rice
> weighs 7 ounces, one ounce less than a cup of water (1 cup of water
> happens to weigh 8 ozs). Cooking 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water does
> NOT cancel out any of the weight of the rice (7 ozs is constant)...
> only that water which evaporates is lost. But there are so many
> variables, type of rice, type of pot/lid, temperature and time
> cooked... the only way to know with any degree of acuracy is to weigh
> AFTER cooking... cook a little extra and weigh after cooking. But then
> we need to know if that rice is weighed immediately or after it cools.
> I'm still waiting for this recipe that calls for weighing cooked
> rice... must be for the birds.

Holy cow NancyBoy, you are such a ****ing genius. Did you miss the word
"approximately"? One cup of rice with 2 cups water makes approximately 3
cups cooked rice. Using your 7 oz. constant for rice, that would mean
that you are starting off with 23 oz. total. The OP needs 400 grams, a
little less than a pound. That 1 cup of rice I suggested would provide him
with the 400 grams that he needs and he will have a few oz. leftover, as I
suggested. No one said anything about the weight of the rice disappearing.

Being such a professional cook, I am sure that you realize that the amount
of rice in a recipe is not required to be exact, and if the OP thought that
it looked like a little too much for the recipe he could leave a little
out. But what he wanted to know was how much rice he needed to cook, and
it looks like 1 cup is going to give him enough.