Sheldon

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "cathy" > wrote in message
> > When I was a kid the only salami we ever bought was Hebrew National
> > kosher salami.
> >
> > When you go to the deli counter in the market these days there is a
> > mind-boggling array of salamis <sp?> and sausages. Does anyone know
> > what type/style of salami/sausage would be closest in flavor and
> > texture to a kosher salami?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Cathy

> Would not a kosher salami of any type taste the same as any salami of

that
> same type? It may be kosher but that has little or nothing to do with

it's
> taste or texture, non? I assume, also, that a HB salami would be of a
> generic "American" salami nature rather than a specific type of

salami.

> Charliam

Kosher salami is essentially of only one type, whereas each recipe
varies, but so insignificantly as to be deemed negligible. There is
also kosher bologna, kosher hot dogs, and kosher knockwurst, all of
which vary only very slightly by brand. I know of no kosher salami
that is like say genoa. And I know of no kosher kielbasa... those who
keep kosher are not at all interested in provisions that emulate those
containing pork, regardless they're kosher. And kosher is like
pregnant, either is or ain't... no such thing as almost...

Sheldon