cathy

On 14 Apr 2005 10:18:00 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>tuppy wrote:
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>National

>is a

>know

>or

>taste

>soy

>> > There are a couple other brands, Issac Gellis, Shofar.
>> >
>> > But none today are like the real kosher salami of yesteryear, back

>then
>> > kosher salami did not need refrigeration, it was a fermented

>salami,
>> > just hung from a hook at the deli... the older/aged ones dripped

>fat
>> > until they were pretty dry, those were what you got when you asked

>for
>> > "hard salami", and cost a few cents extra, well, they lost weight.
>> >
>> > You really can't compare today's kosher delis to those from even

>forty
>> > years ago... there is no comparison... today's kosher delis (every

>one
>> > of them with no exceptions whatsoever) serve phony baloney. I'll

>only
>> > believe you've ever eaten real kosher deli if you can tell me

>what's a
>> > "toot".
>> >
>> > Sheldon
>> >

>> You can "hang" and dry Vienna's beef salami. Yes, it drips fat all

>over the
>> countertop. I have been doing that since the 1970's. I grew up in a

>strict
>> kosher household (and gave it up when I moved out) and can't tell you

>what a
>> toot is. I called a Hasidic friend of mine in Great Neck, NY and he

>couldn't
>> tell me either. What is a "toot?"

>Hasidics wouldn't have a clue about kosher delis... they don't frequent
>them. And as to a "toot", I ain't giving it up... you either know or
>you don't... if you grew up in a kosher home and don't know you're
>probably fairly young.
>
>Vienna Beef products are not kosher.
>
>Not a very informative website: http://www.viennabeef.com/welcome1.htm

I didn't grow up in a kosher home - my mother did and swore she'd
never do it when she got married. But certain things stick with you,
lile; both my parents drank their coffee black (to avoid mixing dairy
and meat - you can't have cream in your coffee if your having brisket
for dinner, in a kosher home). My mother rarely made ham, and bacon
was not often found in our refrigerator. We stuck to kosher-style
products, like HN salami and hot dogs because they were the flavors my
parents were accustomed to. It's stuck with me, too, because the only
hot dogs I'll eat are kosher style. The one time I ate an Oscar Mayer
hot dog I took one bite and spit it out, and tossed the rest in the
trash. It was one of the more revolting things I've been served. It
was so foreign to what I expected a hot dog to taste like, I couldn't
stand it.

Cathy