Sheldon

tuppy wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Boron Elgar wrote:

National

is a

know

> > > The closest you will get to it in most markets is Hebrew National

or
> > > Best's.
> > >
> > > HN is still made, though it belongs to ConAgra now & does not

taste
> > > nearly as good as it used to. It has flavorings and hydrolyzed

soy
> > > protein in it now.
> > >
> > > Boron

> > There are a couple other brands, Issac Gellis, Shofar.
> >
> > But none today are like the real kosher salami of yesteryear, back

then
> > kosher salami did not need refrigeration, it was a fermented

salami,
> > just hung from a hook at the deli... the older/aged ones dripped

fat
> > until they were pretty dry, those were what you got when you asked

for
> > "hard salami", and cost a few cents extra, well, they lost weight.
> >
> > You really can't compare today's kosher delis to those from even

forty
> > years ago... there is no comparison... today's kosher delis (every

one
> > of them with no exceptions whatsoever) serve phony baloney. I'll

only
> > believe you've ever eaten real kosher deli if you can tell me

what's a
> > "toot".
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> You can "hang" and dry Vienna's beef salami. Yes, it drips fat all

over the
> countertop. I have been doing that since the 1970's. I grew up in a

strict
> kosher household (and gave it up when I moved out) and can't tell you

what a
> toot is. I called a Hasidic friend of mine in Great Neck, NY and he

couldn't
> tell me either. What is a "toot?"

Hasidics wouldn't have a clue about kosher delis... they don't frequent
them. And as to a "toot", I ain't giving it up... you either know or
you don't... if you grew up in a kosher home and don't know you're
probably fairly young.

Vienna Beef products are not kosher.

Not a very informative website: http://www.viennabeef.com/welcome1.htm

Sheldon