tuppy

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Boron Elgar wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:41:24 GMT, cathy >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >When I was a kid the only salami we ever bought was Hebrew National
> > >kosher salami.
> > >
> > >When you go to the deli counter in the market these days there is a
> > >mind-boggling array of salamis <sp?> and sausages. Does anyone know
> > >what type/style of salami/sausage would be closest in flavor and
> > >texture to a kosher salami?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Cathy

> > The closest you will get to it in most markets is Hebrew National or
> > Best's.
> >
> > HN is still made, though it belongs to ConAgra now & does not taste
> > nearly as good as it used to. It has flavorings and hydrolyzed soy
> > protein in it now.
> >
> > Boron

> There are a couple other brands, Issac Gellis, Shofar.
>
> But none today are like the real kosher salami of yesteryear, back then
> kosher salami did not need refrigeration, it was a fermented salami,
> just hung from a hook at the deli... the older/aged ones dripped fat
> until they were pretty dry, those were what you got when you asked for
> "hard salami", and cost a few cents extra, well, they lost weight.
>
> You really can't compare today's kosher delis to those from even forty
> years ago... there is no comparison... today's kosher delis (every one
> of them with no exceptions whatsoever) serve phony baloney. I'll only
> believe you've ever eaten real kosher deli if you can tell me what's a
> "toot".
>
> Sheldon

You can "hang" and dry Vienna's beef salami. Yes, it drips fat all over the
countertop. I have been doing that since the 1970's. I grew up in a strict
kosher household (and gave it up when I moved out) and can't tell you what a
toot is. I called a Hasidic friend of mine in Great Neck, NY and he couldn't
tell me either. What is a "toot?"

Rand