Sheldon

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:41:24 GMT, cathy >
> wrote:
>
> >When I was a kid the only salami we ever bought was Hebrew National
> >kosher salami.
> >
> >When you go to the deli counter in the market these days there is a
> >mind-boggling array of salamis <sp?> and sausages. Does anyone know
> >what type/style of salami/sausage would be closest in flavor and
> >texture to a kosher salami?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Cathy

> The closest you will get to it in most markets is Hebrew National or
> Best's.
>
> HN is still made, though it belongs to ConAgra now & does not taste
> nearly as good as it used to. It has flavorings and hydrolyzed soy
> protein in it now.
>
> Boron

There are a couple other brands, Issac Gellis, Shofar.

But none today are like the real kosher salami of yesteryear, back then
kosher salami did not need refrigeration, it was a fermented salami,
just hung from a hook at the deli... the older/aged ones dripped fat
until they were pretty dry, those were what you got when you asked for
"hard salami", and cost a few cents extra, well, they lost weight.

You really can't compare today's kosher delis to those from even forty
years ago... there is no comparison... today's kosher delis (every one
of them with no exceptions whatsoever) serve phony baloney. I'll only
believe you've ever eaten real kosher deli if you can tell me what's a
"toot".

Sheldon