Kate Connally

Default dinner tonight, and last night, and the night before, and tomorrow night. . .

I made a giant batch of the Corn and Red Bell Pepper Chowder
with Kielbasa posted below. I only used the recipe as a guide.
I just threw in everything I had. One thing - the recipe calls
for 2 lb. of kielbasa. That seems like way too much for the
amounts of the other ingredients. I think I may have copied
it wrong and it's supposed to be 1/2 lb. Anyway, I used a little
over 1 lb. of kielbasa, 4-5 cloves garlic, 2 red bell peppers,
same amount of chicken broth and added extra water for enough
liquid to cover the solid ingredients, about 5 medium to large
red potatoes which I baked because I didn't want to peel potatoes
and then just cut them into chunks (skin and all) and threw them
in, 2 cans of Delmonte Select white and yellow corn mix, about
1/4 c. left over heavy cream and about 2 cups of half-and-half,
and some dried parsley.

This stuff is yummy. Can't wait to get home for dinner.

Kate

CORN AND RED BELL PEPPER CHOWDER WITH KIELBASA

2 lb. kielbasa, cut into slices and then halved (should this be
1/2 lb.???)
1 cup chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 tablespoon olive oil, if needed
2 cups chicken stock or broth
3 medium red potatoes (about 1 pound), unpeeled, cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup chopped parsley

In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, combine sausage, onion, garlic,
and bell pepper and saute until vegetables are tender, 6-7 minutes. Add
oil, if needed. Add stock, potatoes, salt, and white pepper. Bring to a
boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until potatoes are
tender, about 20 minutes. Add corn, half-and-half, and parsley and
simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, about 10 minutes longer.
Serves 4. (From the Big Book of Soups and Stews by Maryana Vollstedt)
Note: To add more body to the soup, mash a few potato pieces with the
back of a spoon against the side of the pan.
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”