D. Gerasimatos

Thanks for the advice. I no longer live in Berkeley. I am familiar with
Kermit Lynch, but not the others. However, my comment stands based on my
experience. If I go to a tasting of cheaper French wines from lesser
appellations like the Loire, Bandol, or Languedoc in the $10-25 range I will
inevitably find one or two that I enjoy. However, that is not a good ratio when
tasting, say, eight wines.

As someone else said, there is a lot of plonk in that price range from
the USA, Italy, and Australia also. However, I am far more likely to
find a wine I like for $15 if it is from California than if it is from
France. It may just be a function of the exchange rate and/or shipping
costs.

Dimitri