Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Rina" > wrote:

> I have a nine year old grand child... He enjoys every loaf of bread that I
> make and He enjoys rolling pizza dough and making pizza, I doubt if his
> concentration would last through the lengthy process of hand kneading the
> dough. Measuring the ingredients and putting them into the bread machine,
> standing on a stool with a flashlight peeking into the little window to see
> what's happening all hold his interest for about 10 minutes. We have had fun
> making monkey bread, He was able to get his hands on the dough , make the
> little balls and roll them in cinnamon sugar. I bake the rolled cinnamon
> sugar balls in a bunt pan, it's a great treat for nine year olds! I told him
> that some day I'd let him shape a monster ( alligator or something similar)
> out of bread dough and I'd bake monster bread for him. This is probably
> going to be an April vacation project. that interested him!

We've already touched a bit on the biology of bread making, and I want
to go into it more, about yeast and gluten and so on. She won't have to
knead it except for a bit if she wants and some at beginning and end to
get a feel for the difference. Emma's got a very curious mind about
many things, including science and nature. Then she'll be off curled up
with a book during much of my kneading, I expect, unless she wants to
stay with me and chat about which cats came to visit her over night.

> Not to be sexist, but he is a boy and enjoys eating the goodies more than
> making them!

Emma's already made pie crust with her Dad (they made the Thanksgiving
pumpkin pie this past year), and she's interested in learning. Eating,
too, but learning how to do something her Aunt Scilly does is a draw for
her. She's eaten my bread at holidays and likes it.

> Have fun with your niece!

I expect we'll have a ball. We generally do. Backgammon is also on the
agenda. I don't think she's old enough yet to handle cribbage.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal