Dee Randall

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
news:20050406192431.2335acd0@wafer...
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:06:30 -0400
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
>> You said: "Just placed my order for a 15"x20" Fibrament-D stone."
>>
>> Did you receive your stone yet?
>> I was looking at the picture of it at
>> http://www.bakingstone.com/why_fibrament.php
>> and it looks to me that it is not flat all the way across, but has what
>> looks to be about 2-3" flaps on either side; if this is true, I am
>> wondering why they decided to use up the space so it could angle
>> upwards. Thanks,
>> Dee
>>

> Yeah, it's tapered at the edge.
>
> When you pour cement into a mold that has vertical sides, there's a
> higher risk of air bubble defects along the molded edge than with sloped
> sides.
>
> These defects would hardly detract from the usefulness of the stone, but
> some people might object to them, which would increase product returns.
>
> It's also much easier to remove from the mold when the sides are sloped,
> and this lowers the defect rate as well.
>
> The entire sloped area on my 15x20 stone is about 1". It's not a big
> deal. I agree that at the angle they shot the picture, it looks bigger
> than
> that, because of the curved corners. The corners on mine aren't curved.
>
> I didn't get any fancy box, though, just lots of bubble wrap
>
> As for it's performance, that's bloody great. See:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3ussm (google groups url way too long)
>
> So far I've done four pizze and half a dozen calzone. I mean to try a
> loaf of bread soon.

Thanks for your reply. It made me 'finally' make my purchase. I had been
set on the "Pizza Gourmet" stone which I have been using for many years and
has given me very good service, but I couldn't find it.
I found a stone rated best by America's Test Kitchen.
http://planetdelicious.com/products.php?product=PZ-15SQ
It was $28.95 + 7.25 (I think) shipping. Not a bad price if it's OK.
I'll let you know what it's like when I get it, and if there's a brand on
it -- hope I don't get bit!
Dee