AaronSchlom wrote:
> I used to have a recipe for a flourless sponge cake (I'm sure
> of this) that used a fair few egg yolks that were whisked for
> (what seemed like) hours until the mixture - also consisting
> of caster sugar - doubled in size. For the life of me, I can't
> remember how the recipe went - how many eggs (8, I think),
> how much caster sugar (4 oz probably) - and I'd greatly
> appreciate it if someone could enlighten me. I'm in a, er,
> baking mood. ;-)

try http://www.recipezaar.com/r/294/173

or http://frenchfood.about.com/od/frenc...r/nfalmond.htm
shown below

G=E2teau aux amandes
Flourless Almond Cake
Pronounced: gah toe / oh / zah mahnd

INGREDIENTS:

* 1-1/2 cups + 1/4 cup sliced almonds
* 3/4 cups + 2 Tablespoons confectioners' sugar
* 4 large egg whites
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
* cooking spray for cake pan

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 325=B0F. Cut an 8-inch circle from waxed or parchment
paper to line the bottom of the cake pan.
1=2E Pour 1-1/2 cups of almonds and 3/4 cup of confectioners' sugar into
the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely ground.

2=2E Using an electric mixture and a clean bowl, beat egg whites until
soft peaks form.

3=2E Gradually add the remaining 2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar
and beat until the peaks are stiff and glossy. Beat in the almond
extract.

4=2E Sprinkle half of the almond/sugar mixture over the egg whites and
using a rubber spatula fold them in. Repeat with remaining almonds.

5=2E Spray the cake pan with the cooking spray. Line with the paper round
and spray it also.

6=2E Sprinkle the pan evenly with the remaining 1/4 cups of sliced
almonds. Gently spread the batter into the pan and tap the pan on the
counter to remove any air bubbles.

7=2E Bake 40 to 45 minutes. The cake should be golden and firm in the
center.

8=2E Allow to cool completely in the pan.

To serve:

Cut into slices and serve.