Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:43:35 -0600, "Dick R." > wrote:

>Mark Lipton wrote:
>> Dick R. wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> Received a bottle of Allegrini Valpolicella in a mixed
>>> case for Christmas. I've never tried Valpolicella, but in
>>> the back of my mind I seem to recall that it is good with
>>> red sauce pasta. Any thoughts?

>> Valpolicella, especially as made by Allegrini, is a full-bodied red wine
>> with lots of character and acidity. It would probably do all right with
>> a red pasta sauce, but if you're looking for a regional match keep in
>> mind that you don't see many red sauces in the Veneto, where
>> Valpolicella is located. I'd say Osso Bucco would make a fine match, as
>> would most red meats.
>>
>> HTH
>> Mark Lipton

>Hi Mark,
>Thanks for the reply. I can understand red meats (I'm a basic carnivore),
>but without searching through my wife's cookbook collection, what's
>Osso Bucco?
>
>Thanks,
>Dick R.

Braised veal shanks. Typically rounds of veal with a marrow bone, done
in a stew of carrots, tomatoes, etc. The meat is delicate and tender
with great flavors. And, the best part is spreading the marrow on some
fine Italian bread. Often served with gnocci or polenta.

Personally, I go with Pinot Noir when I convince the wife to do Osso
Bucco, but I'll add that a light Valpolicella reminds me a lot of a
bright, cherry-oriented PN.

I never like Valpolicella very much until I discovered (typical
ignorant American, that I am) that Valpolicella in jug bottles is
about the same relationship to good Valpolicella as "chianti" is to
Chianti Classico. The "real thing" can be sublime.

Recently I got introduced to the rippasso style of Valpo, sort of a
second cousin to Amarone. These wines are big, warm, heavy and
certainly work well for me with almost any Italian cuisine.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org