Gary S.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:41:56 GMT, (claudel)
wrote:

>In article >,
>The Joneses > wrote:
>>"Gary S." wrote:
>>
>>> A couple of thoughts on making jerky:

>>I also do a chipotle recipe that's fab. I'd rather use lots of raw minced
>>garlic than powder. Wet marinades take twice as long to dry than dry
>>rubs. I've found the best way to keep jerky is in clean paper lunch bags,
>>staped up top. Or froze. But when taken out, condensation can develope in
>>the tightly sealed container and make the jerky mold.
>>Edrena
>>

>Mmmmmm. Chipotle.

It does add a nice complex taste.

>I have a vacuum sealer that I was going to use, but I'm
>thinking that none will be around long enough for that.

This tends to be a problem with making jerky.

I have made a very simple one a few times, using deli sliced smoked
turkey as is, cut into 1" wide strips.

The smokiness gets concentrated, almost bacon-like.

You can also make all sorts of short shelf-life jerkies, stored in the
refrigerator until the start of a weekend trip.

I am experimenting with ways to use jerky as a meat ingredient in a
one pot backpack meal, rather than as a stand alone snack.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA