Old 30-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...

jmcquown wrote:
I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to
help

bind
together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think
flour

would be
too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?

Recipe follows:

3 oz. crab meat
6 oz. ground pork
6 large shrimp, minced*
1 Tbs. water
1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
1 Tbs. oil
1/2 tsp. pepper

*or 1 can baby shrimp, well drained
Combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers. Place 1 Tbs.
filling

in the
center of each wrapper and fold and pinch to seal with moistened

fingers.
Cover and steam over boiling water 20-25 minutes.

Jill

I've actually watched such items as dumpling/wonton filling being
made at Chinese restaurants (I'm always snooping at food prep),
they don't use corn starch or any other starch as a binder... they
use egg white (no yolk)... starch is a great thickener (and
filler) but a really lousy binder, especially when ingredients
begin to ooze liquid... in the above recipe the cornstarch is
there to absorb the liquid steaming from the meat during cooking,
otherwise by the time it's served there'll be a puddle in the dish
and the filling texture will become like it's pre-eaten... the egg
is the binder... if you have no starch you may want to add a small
bit of cooked white rice to the mixture. But I'd question the
Asian authenticity of that recipe when it calls for whole egg.

I got the recipe when we lived in Bangkok. Have you never heard of
whole egg stirred into fried rice? I think I'll just add a tiny bit
of flour as Barb suggested.

Jill

Or make rice flour with the wand blender?

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Continuing to be Manitoban