Rusty

jmcquown wrote:
> I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to help

bind
> together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think flour

would be
> too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?
>
> Recipe follows:
>
> 3 oz. crab meat
> 6 oz. ground pork
> 6 large shrimp, minced*
> 1 Tbs. water
> 1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
> 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
> 1 egg
> 1-1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
> 1 Tbs. oil
> 1/2 tsp. pepper
>
> *or 1 can baby shrimp, well drained
> Combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers. Place 1 Tbs. filling

in the
> center of each wrapper and fold and pinch to seal with moistened

fingers.
> Cover and steam over boiling water 20-25 minutes.
>
> Jill
> --
> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Several websites on Google list these as substitutes:

Cornstarch Substitute

For 1 tablespoon, use 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour;
1 tablespoon potato flour or rice flour;
4 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca; or 2 teaspoons arrowroot.

======

Cornstarch in the United States
and cornflour in the UK are the same product.
If you don't have cornstarch you can use double the
amount of flour but it must be boiled for a while or it will taste
starchy.

Potato flour is not a flour it is a
starch and another equivalent to cornstarch.

Arrowroot is also and equivalent of cornstarch
but it works at a lower temperature.

=====

Rusty