Eric Jorgensen

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:59:49 GMT
Dog3 > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Selma Jane wrote:
> >> Of course, the traditional way to prepare a meat loaf is in the oven.
> >> But I've heard of some people making it on the stove like a pot roast.
> >> Have you ever made it that way?
> >>
> >> Selma Jane

> > I've never tried it. I've heard of some people doing meatloaf in a
> > crock pot. Never tried that, either.
> >
> > Jill
> >

> I'm afraid if I made it in a crock pot it would be glop. Never made it on
>
> the stove either. I wonder how that would turn out.

The book that comes with a Crock Pot(tm) claims that you can cook
anything in it very well, even bread.

I say it's all just a crock. It's no more of a universal cooker than an
Amana Radar Range, which of course has cookbooks available that explain
how you can cook anything in it very well.

Every job has it's appropriate tools. You can make meatloaf on your
car's exaust manifold - that doesn't mean you should.

Most of this discussion seems to revolve around meatloaf baked inside a
pan - the other method is to use a pan to form it and then turn it out onto
a flat baking sheet that has a lip, and liberally apply a tomato-based
glaze. This allows the fat to run out and promotes crust formation.

You can use any heat source you like to cook your food. Some will
provide better results than others for some foods. I don't think meatloaf
is easily applied to stovetop cooking. That doesn't mean you can't, or that
your uncle Delbert's pressure cooker meatloaf isn't delish, it means that
I'm not about to try it or advise anyone else to try it.