Raj V

Eric Jorgensen wrote:
SNIP
> The ceramic tile transfers heat very quickly, and the bottom of the
> crust is very well seared, but then it's pretty much done. The bottom of
> the pizza ends up being over-hard and the quality of the crumb suffers
> because of the drop in the rate of thermal transfer. The only way to
> compensate is to use a lower oven temperature, and then the quality of the
> browning on the top side suffers.
>
> I get a more uniform bake with the fibrament stone. With the oven at
> 500f the bottom of the crust is not over hard, the crumb is well
> developed,
> and if i use the old tiles to lower the ceiling over the pizza, the top is
> very well browned.

SNIP

I'm curious, what is there about the fibrament stone that allows it to cook
more uniformly than the ceramic tiles, the thickness? My old Saltilo tiles
were about 3/4 inch thick and made the el cheapo Sears oven we used at that
time fairly usable. They cracked, but I used them for almost 20 years that
way with no problems.

The oven of the local pizza joint, Fuzzy's, is set to almost 600 degrees and
has what looks like a thick brick-like floor. Since it is constantly being
opened I assume it probably stays around 500 degrees. Excellent pizza BTW.

Raj V