CabFan

<<SNIP>>

> Braised veal shanks. Typically rounds of veal with a marrow bone, done
> in a stew of carrots, tomatoes, etc. The meat is delicate and tender
> with great flavors. And, the best part is spreading the marrow on some
> fine Italian bread. Often served with gnocci or polenta.
>
> Personally, I go with Pinot Noir when I convince the wife to do Osso
> Bucco, but I'll add that a light Valpolicella reminds me a lot of a
> bright, cherry-oriented PN.
>
> I never like Valpolicella very much until I discovered (typical
> ignorant American, that I am) that Valpolicella in jug bottles is
> about the same relationship to good Valpolicella as "chianti" is to
> Chianti Classico. The "real thing" can be sublime.
>
> Recently I got introduced to the rippasso style of Valpo, sort of a
> second cousin to Amarone. These wines are big, warm, heavy and
> certainly work well for me with almost any Italian cuisine.
>

> Ed Rasimus

Ed,

Ripasso is actually made by pouring Valpolicella juice over the skins left
behind after Amarone is made so it is a sort-of "in-between" style. It's
always been interesting to me that they actually make 4 different styled
wines in Valpolicella from the same basic mix of grapes (those being
Valpolicella, Ripasso, Amarone and Recitto (spelling?))

Cheers,
Gary