Tom S

"Dick R." > wrote in message
> but without searching through my wife's cookbook collection, what's
> Osso Bucco?

Literally translated, it means "bone with a hole" as I recall.

Osso Bucco is an incredibly delicious dish prepared from veal shanks.
They're baked in a covered casserole with a mixture of chopped vegetables
(onion, carrot and celery) in beef broth. Garlic, tomatoes, lemon peel,
basil, s&p, white wine, olive oil, thyme and bay leaf also go in.

It's an easy dish to prepare, but there's a lot of chopping required. Also,
it's best to make one's own broth rather than use the store bought boullion.

When the shanks are falling-off-the-bone tender, they are removed to a
platter and the sauce is thickened by reduction and adding flour. The
traditional accompaniment is risotto Milanese, but I usually just serve it
over plain rice and drink Chardonnay with it.

I have a detailed recipe for 6, but it's in jpeg format so I won't post it
here. E-mail me if you're interested, with osso buco in the subject line.
Remove dontspam from my address.

Tom S