The Joneses

"Gary S." wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:12:40 GMT, (claudel)
> wrote:
>
> >There's a Mexican grocery close to me that sells
> >the best marinated thin sliced carne asada that
> >screams out to be made into jerky. I'm figuring
> >if I can do 5 Lbs at a time I'll be fine.
> >I'm looking to try a few other recipes as well.
> >

> A couple of thoughts on making jerky:
> The lower the fat content, the better it will last at room temp.
> Poultry and pork need to be heated to cooking temperature during the
> process to get any potential salmonella or trichinosis. Some processes
> for beef jerky use raw beef, and no higher temps.
> Having the meat cut to the same thickness will be simpler within each
> batch, as well as batch-to-batch.
> Any flavoring will concentrate a lot, so be moderate until you have
> tried it a few times.
> In a multi-tray dehydrator without a fan, make certain you swap around
> the trays during the process.
> Don't overdry or it will require power tools to eat the jerky.
> Happy trails,
> Gary (net.yogi.bear)

I also do a chipotle recipe that's fab. I'd rather use lots of raw minced
garlic than powder. Wet marinades take twice as long to dry than dry
rubs. I've found the best way to keep jerky is in clean paper lunch bags,
staped up top. Or froze. But when taken out, condensation can develope in
the tightly sealed container and make the jerky mold.
Edrena