Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> How do you think couscous (my new friend -- mmmmmm, fiber!) would work
> in a chicken salady thing? I've got leftover birdie from last night's
> dinner. . . . Couscous, chicken, green onion -- do I bind it with
> something or just do a drizzled and mixed dressing? What about adding
> some clementines to it? (Need to use up some hiding out in the fridge.)
> Almonds?

A very good idea, Queenie, but it doesn't go far enough. Here is a
truly delectable recipe which, no doubt, will at once become your
all-time favourite. It calls for smoked chicken, but I don't see why
grilled, broiled of fried one can't be used instead. The recipe is from
<http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/ARTICLE.aspx?id=41393>.

Bubba

Smoked chicken with couscous, orange and beetroot

Serving size: Serves 2
Cooking time: Less than 60 minutes

INGREDIENTS

2 smoked chicken breasts, finely sliced

1 cup couscous
1 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seed
1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
1/4 bunch coriander, chopped
1/4 bunch parsley, shredded
Salt and black pepper

4 large beetroots
vegetable stock to cover
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

METHOD

Slice chicken breasts thinly, and cook on a preheated griddle pan until
heated through.

To prepare couscous- Bring orange juice to the boil, tip over couscous
and wrap with cling wrap. Set aside and allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Once 10 minutes has lapsed, using a fork separate the couscous grains
and fold through the ground coriander, cumin, Spanish onion and herbs.
Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.

To prepare beetroots, place into a large saucepan with stock, vinegar,
salt and sugar. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for
approximately 40 minutes or until tender.

To serve, slice beetroots into thin rounds and place 2-3 slices
onto the serving plate. Place 2-3 tablespoons of couscous neatly onto
each round, top each with equal amounts of grilled chicken and serve.