Dee Randall

"Drbob92031" > wrote in message
>I have a coffe roaster and it says in the instructions that if you want a
> darker roast to the green coffee beans turn the automatic timer to a
> longer
> roast. BE CAREFULL. I did this and the smoke alarms in the house went off.
> Now
> I do it on the outside patio; at the wife's insistance. She did not like
> being
> awakened by the smoke alarms. The coffee was great. But green coffee beans
> stink. (smell). Any input from the coffee officinados?
> Bob

After my husband bought a 100# bag of green coffee back from South America
and by the time I finished roasting it all, I discovered quite a lot about
coffee. #1 was that the darker you roasted it, the more apparent it became
that "dark-roast" is "burnt." They can't market it "Burnt Coffee," so "Dark
Roast" is the ticket. I know, I know, I know -- I didn't know what I was
doing; I'm not sophisticated to like that dark, oiley stuff -- ha ha!

My green coffee did not smell in its green state, but it certainly did in
its burnt state. Yuk!
I lived in Hawaii for about 4 years, and am still drinking Kona, even though
some of the roasters that have little Kona are getting a little dark for my
preference. Dark coffee makes me dizzy! I recall in California in the 70's
when it was "Peet" that everyone was raving about. I didn't think it was
that great, but it was a little better than Starbucks.
(My husband LOVES Starbucks. - I think I've tried all of the other drinks
they have, but am no fan of any of them. Very over-rated and down-right
inconsistent.
Dee