Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 01:13:47 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:03:13 GMT

> > My Fibrament stone arrived this morning. May be making pizza tonight
> > .

> .
>
> The food network was big on pizza this weekend and it got me motivated to
> make one. I whiped out at big one (pizza that is) on Sunday. I have
> been lazy and have baked most of the recent pizzas in my small microwave
> convection oven in a pizza pan. On Sunday, I heated up the main oven with
> my stone and baked the pizza the right way for a change. I kept is
> simple with a minimum of sauce and a minimumof toppings. It was
> wonderful. Nothing beats the basics.

Well, the joke was on me - a new fibrament stone requires a 6 hour
drying cycle in the oven before use. increment 100 degrees per hour,
standing at 500 degrees for two hours.

So, I'll be staying up late to turn off the oven at the end of the
cycle, perhaps I'll get to take the thing for a spin tomorrow night.

You're right about simplicity - one of the tougher lessons in home pizza
making is when "lots of cheese" becomes too much. It doesn't matter how
much you like cheese (and I have at least 7 kinds in my fridge), you
rapidly reach a point where the pizza and indeed the cheese on it is less
enjoyable for there being so much of it.

Two weeks ago I got roped into baking 14 calzones for my twin nephews
13th birthday party. It started out being "How the heck did this happen!?"
and "Why are you looking at me? I like my toppings *browned!" and ended up
being a pretty enjoyable experience. Also made me again jealous of the inch
thick ceramic stone in my parents oven.