Dimitri

Default Why is beef so expensive?

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "Dimitri" > wrote in
> . com:
>
> > Expensive is a relative term based upon your
> > disposable/discretionary income. Although prices have increased
> > recently since we use the open market system usually there is a
> > supply and demand situation.

> Since when does the US use the open market system? The production of
> most agricultural foodstuffs in the US is either subsidized or managed
> and therefore benefit from unfair advantages over countries that don't
> subsidize (or receive foreign aid of any sort) like Canada. That has
> been a bone of contention in GATT negotiations where the US has
> demanded the lowering or elimination of subsidies in other countries
> while protecting its own.

Ok let me re-define my statement - neither the US government nor the States
publish or "fix/set" prices for retail food consumption ergo the normal
supply and demand usually prevail.

You are correct however in that the US government does manage certain
commodities which is why we no longer make Life Savers in the US and why the
production has moved 100% to Canada. Do you want to send those Jobs back?

Dimitri