Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:03:13 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:54:50 -0500
> > Sridhar Sathya > wrote:
> >
> > > When I make pizza dough it raises well, around double the size in
> > > about 45 minutes. The problem with my dough is it is too gooie and
> > > I'm not able to toss it. Even when I try to knead it it is too
> > > elastic and shrinks as I knead the dough.
> > >

> > > I follow the following recipe (I use a bread machine for making the
> > > dough). 1 tablespoon sugar
> > > 1 1/4 cup water
> > > 1 teaspoon yeast
> > > 3 cups bread flour
> > > 1 teaspoon salt
> > > 1/4 cup oil.

> > I agree with Vox that your pizza dough sounds really heavy on the
> > oil.

> > tablespoon at the most.
> >
> > It's hard to know how you define gooey. tossing is overrated and
> > mostly
> > theater. Sounds like perhaps it's too dense?
> >
> > Like Vox said, if it's too springy it may just need to rest, but i

> agree
> > with Roger that maybe it's too dry. I do find that i get the best
> > performance out of my pizza dough when the hydration level is high
> > enough that the dough is a little sticky. just have flour handy to
> > sprinkle with while you work it.
> >
> > It's Really Easy to get more than '1 cup' of flour into that cup.
> > Try
> > again and stop adding flour when the dough is just a little sticky.
> >

> I don't really measure the flour or the water. I just put enough flour
> to come up the shoulder on my food processor's bade, put in about a
> tablespoon of oil, a teaspoon of salt, and a scant tablespoon of instant
> yeast. I turn on the machine and add very hot tap water in a slow stream
> until the dough forms a ball that tends to stick to the sides of the
> bowl. I let that knead for about a minute, and then remove it. The
> important thing is that you have the proper ratio of liquid to flour.

It's my guess that most people blindly follow a recipe without paying
any attention to ratios. That would work ok if it told them which method to
use when measuring flour.

Some people get a 1c scoop and shove it into an open bag, and get
considerably more in 1 cup than they would had they poured the contents of
the bag into a container and then used a regular measuring cup and the
scoop & sweep method, for example.

> I think that four tablespoons of oil to a pound of flour is pretty high.
> I have looked at a lot of recipes, and I don't ever recall seeing that
> much oil for a scant pound (3 cups) of flour. But, if it works for the
> OP and he likes it, then I say go for it.

I start to think my pizza dough is way too greasy when i hit about 2
tablespoons of oil per pound of flour. I don't want to think about what
four would be like. But yeah, if it's what he's going for, whatever.

My Fibrament stone arrived this morning. May be making pizza tonight . .
..