Vox Humana

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
news:20050322161219.132f873a@wafer...
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:54:50 -0500
> Sridhar Sathya > wrote:
>
> > When I make pizza dough it raises well, around double the size in about
> > 45 minutes. The problem with my dough is it is too gooie and I'm not
> > able to toss it. Even when I try to knead it it is too elastic and
> > shrinks as I knead the dough.
> >

> > I follow the following recipe (I use a bread machine for making the
> > dough). 1 tablespoon sugar
> > 1 1/4 cup water
> > 1 teaspoon yeast
> > 3 cups bread flour
> > 1 teaspoon salt
> > 1/4 cup oil.

> I agree with Vox that your pizza dough sounds really heavy on the oil.

> tablespoon at the most.
>
> It's hard to know how you define gooey. tossing is overrated and mostly
> theater. Sounds like perhaps it's too dense?
>
> Like Vox said, if it's too springy it may just need to rest, but i

agree
> with Roger that maybe it's too dry. I do find that i get the best
> performance out of my pizza dough when the hydration level is high enough
> that the dough is a little sticky. just have flour handy to sprinkle with
> while you work it.
>
> It's Really Easy to get more than '1 cup' of flour into that cup. Try
> again and stop adding flour when the dough is just a little sticky.

I don't really measure the flour or the water. I just put enough flour to
come up the shoulder on my food processor's bade, put in about a tablespoon
of oil, a teaspoon of salt, and a scant tablespoon of instant yeast. I turn
on the machine and add very hot tap water in a slow stream until the dough
forms a ball that tends to stick to the sides of the bowl. I let that knead
for about a minute, and then remove it. The important thing is that you
have the proper ratio of liquid to flour.

I think that four tablespoons of oil to a pound of flour is pretty high. I
have looked at a lot of recipes, and I don't ever recall seeing that much
oil for a scant pound (3 cups) of flour. But, if it works for the OP and he
likes it, then I say go for it.