Eric Jorgensen

Default Pizza Dough

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:54:50 -0500
Sridhar Sathya > wrote:

> When I make pizza dough it raises well, around double the size in about
> 45 minutes. The problem with my dough is it is too gooie and I'm not
> able to toss it. Even when I try to knead it it is too elastic and
> shrinks as I knead the dough.
>

> I follow the following recipe (I use a bread machine for making the
> dough). 1 tablespoon sugar
> 1 1/4 cup water
> 1 teaspoon yeast
> 3 cups bread flour
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 cup oil.

I agree with Vox that your pizza dough sounds really heavy on the oil. A
tablespoon at the most.

It's hard to know how you define gooey. tossing is overrated and mostly
theater. Sounds like perhaps it's too dense?

Like Vox said, if it's too springy it may just need to rest, but i agree
with Roger that maybe it's too dry. I do find that i get the best
performance out of my pizza dough when the hydration level is high enough
that the dough is a little sticky. just have flour handy to sprinkle with
while you work it.

It's Really Easy to get more than '1 cup' of flour into that cup. Try
again and stop adding flour when the dough is just a little sticky.