Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>
> > Dan Logcher wrote:
> >

> >> Next time I'm at Sushi Island, I will order both and take a picture.
> >> And some sawara if they have it.. and iwashi and saba.. oh man, I'm
> >> drooling already.

> > The chirashi that provoked my original post (and the unfortunate
> > situation three hours later) was absolutely pure white. I'm not in the
> > habit of using words from languages that I don't speak so I will
> > continue to refer to it as "white tuna" which indeed was what the head
> > sushi chef called it when I asked him about it. Foreign words may
> > contribute to precision but a non-speaker cannot always tell if they are
> > being used correctly. The restaurant had the usual beer company placards
> > with Japanese names and translations but there was no mention of white
> > tuna.

> I've seen some menu that list white tuna for albacore and super white tuna
> for escolar. So I can see how some people may get confused by the naming.
> I cannot get a straight answer from the chefs about the Japanese name of
> SWT.

This kind of supports what I heard, that Abura bouzu (escolar) is banned in
Japan
for raw consumption. Either they don't know the Japanese name (nearly
impossible
for any half decent Japanese itamae) or they would just rather not "talk
about it".

> > "Escolar" and its known unfortunate effects on at least some people came
> > up when I started to investigate the subject on the web. There are
> > several government notices about it, two of which I have quoted.

> Yes, I've seen the government notices way back when SWT first started to
> come around. So I started making note when I ate it to see if I had any
> sort of distress. Some chefs won't serve it because of the warning, and
> maybe they had issues too..

Having read about SWT here in the Newsgroup some time ago, I made an effort
locate it and try it, which I did. 3-4 pieces had no effect on me, but that
could be just me.
Clearly the effect varies from person to person.