Old 18-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Dan Logcher

James Silverton wrote:

Dan Logcher wrote:

Next time I'm at Sushi Island, I will order both and take a picture.
And some sawara if they have it.. and iwashi and saba.. oh man, I'm
drooling already.

The chirashi that provoked my original post (and the unfortunate
situation three hours later) was absolutely pure white. I'm not in the
habit of using words from languages that I don't speak so I will
continue to refer to it as "white tuna" which indeed was what the head
sushi chef called it when I asked him about it. Foreign words may
contribute to precision but a non-speaker cannot always tell if they are
being used correctly. The restaurant had the usual beer company placards
with Japanese names and translations but there was no mention of white
tuna.

I've seen some menu that list white tuna for albacore and super white tuna
for escolar. So I can see how some people may get confused by the naming.
I cannot get a straight answer from the chefs about the Japanese name of
SWT.

"Escolar" and its known unfortunate effects on at least some people came
up when I started to investigate the subject on the web. There are
several government notices about it, two of which I have quoted.

Yes, I've seen the government notices way back when SWT first started to
come around. So I started making note when I ate it to see if I had any
sort of distress. Some chefs won't serve it because of the warning, and
maybe they had issues too..

--
Dan