Jenn Ridley

(Beth Kevles) wrote:

>Hi --
>
>Can someone please explain why a bread dough would call for a small
>amount of milk powder, and what the consequences would be for omitting
>it? If milk isn't an option, what might one use instead for a similar
>result? Or do you just have to live without a certain texture or other
>end result?

According to my bread baking books, milk enhances flavor and increases
the nutritional value of the bread.

When I make bread from scratch (using my gramma's recipe), I use warm
milk, rather than warm water. I find that the texture is nicer that
way. Many bread machine recipes call for dry milk powder rather than
fluid milk simply for convenience.

really, the only way to find out if the bread will work (for whatever
value of "work" you want) without the milk powder is to try it.
--
Jenn Ridley :