Michael Pronay

(Cwdjrx _) wrote:

> Chateau Gruaud-Larose 1961 is at the peak and likely will hold a
> few more years.

Had a bad experience with a magnum a few months ago. It was a
wedding gift back in 1992 from Bertold Salomon (from Salomon
Undhof estate in Krems) who at the time worked for the Austrian
importer of Cordier. He got the mag directly from the chteau.

I opened and decanted it at 5 pm in my country cellar (where it
has been lying undisturbed the last 12 years at 10C/50F). Tasted a
small sipp, tasted completely closed-in. Back at home I rinsed the
bottle and poured back. Fortunately i had decanted two other red
mags (1992 Solitaire, Feiler-Artinger, an Austrian blend, and 1983
La Casa, a special Brunello bottling from Caparzo), because when
we arrived to the reds the cork taint of the claret had fully
developped.

M. (devoted cork-hater)