sf

Default Need recipe ideas for precooked chicken breasts

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:15:24 +1100, Kajikit
> wrote:

> Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
> be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
> panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
> on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
> kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
> hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
> salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
> to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
> plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?
>
> ~Karen AKA Kajikit

I guess Thai chicken wraps are out... so how about creamed
chicken, chicken enchiladas, chicken fajitas or chicken
crepes!

The Magic Pan Chicken Crepe Elegante
Yield: 6 servings.

For crepes:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted butter

For filling:
1 cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

I would play with the herbs (use chervil or thyme)
and add at least 1//4 C thinly sliced mushrooms

To prepare crepes: Sift flour and salt together into a large
mixing bowl.

Add eggs; mix thoroughly (mixture will form a thick paste).
Add milk gradually, beating until smooth. Batter will have
the consistency of heavy cream. Cover bowl; refrigerate for
2 hours.

Brush a hot crepe pan with oil or melted butter. Pour in
about 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter, depending on the size of
the pan. Tip the pan to coat it with a thin layer of batter.
Cook over medium-high heat until crepe is golden brown,
about 1 minute, then turn and brown other side. Continue
cooking crepes, adding oil or butter to pan as needed.

To prepare filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring stock
to a boil in a small pan. Melt butter in a saucepan over low
heat. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Gradually
add stock. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring over low heat for
1 to 2 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
Stir in chicken, salt, pepper, parsley and chives.

Beat egg yolks and half-and-half in a small mixing bowl. Add
a little of the hot sauce; mix well. Stir egg mixture into
remaining hot sauce in pan.

Put a portion of the mixture in the center of each crepe.
Roll up crepes.
Place in a buttered oven-to-table baking dish. Sprinkle with
cheese. Bake 10 to 15 minutes. Serve at once.

http://www.cdkitchen.com