DaleW

Some random thoughts:

First of all, sure there's plenty of lousy expensive wine (in my
opinion).

Are these restaurant prices or in Australian dollars or something(I
think of Hugel Riesling as $10-12US, JJ Prum generic Kabinett as
$12-15, and JJ Prum single vineyard kabs as $15-20)?

I do not personally shun off-dry to sweet Riesling, nor do many of my
friends. They can be some of the great wines of the world.

Among the great Riesling producers of the Middle Mosel, JJ Pr=FCm is a
standout. But I will say that the wines are often difficult young
(especially if you are not especially sulphur-tolerant).

Are you saying France or Hugel is world's most renowned wine producer?
If former, much as I love Alsace wines, Germany is probably most
renowned (and Austria could challenge Alsace in quality in dry wines).
Hugel makes some good wines, but in some ways is the Gallo of Alsace.

Everyone has different tastes, and your impressions are valid for you.
But I just would caution against making large generalizations about the
quality level of the wines of 2 countries based on your impressions of
2 wines.

best, Dale