George B. Ross

Wally Bedford ) opined:

> Okay, out of the lurk. I'm looking at picking up a
> charcoal grill this spring, and pretty much had my mind set
> on a chargriller. Well, time to put that in stone so I
> head to the web site. Now the site has changed and they
> have added a bunch of new product. Looks like the same
> design, but they are adding some mid-size and king-size
> units.
>
> They also have a reference section, and one part talks
> about seasoning the grill and rust.
>
> Rust!?! As a WSM owner I never really thought of this.
> Anyone know if these units are prone to rusting? I know
> that cast grills will get some rust but how much rust will
> the body take? They also state that you should keep the
> temp under 400. A tad shy of what others would call a
> "searing" temperature.
>
> Anyhoo, anyone out there with chargriller care to comment
> on the durability of the unit?

Mine is about 5 years old (and retired) and quite rusty. It
sits uncovered on my porch in northern Indiana, so it gets its
fair share of rain and snow. I used to have the custom cover,
but the cold weather took its toll on that. It lasted about
3 years. The firebox paint lasted about 3 cooking sessions, so
it started rusting almost immediately. Just be sure to remove
the ash as soon as it cools and spray/wipe down the outside with
vegetable oil to slow the rusting down. The main chamber is
still painted, just the firebox is rusty. I think this unit
would last another 5 years in these conditions, which makes it
10 years for $200. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

--
George B. Ross is
remove the obvious bits for email