Salgar

Default vegan food (stuffed pepper recipe)

Haven't posted here in a while but my gf and I came up with some yummy
stuffed peppers tonight and thought we'd share.

We used one red and one green but any color would do - they need to stand up
on their bottoms though. Chop off the tops and save. Put the peppers open
top up on a baking tray and spray with cooking oil and bake around 375 for
15 minutes. Meanwhile cook a cup of rice and saute in olive oil 1/2 a
medium onion(chopped), 2 large cloves garlic(minced), and some chopped
mushrooms. Cut the stem away from the pepper tops and chop what's left and
chuck that in, reconstitute a cup of tvp and throw that in too and season
with salt, pepper, parsley, whatever you like. Mix in the rice and 1/2 cup
of slivered almonds, pack the mixture in the peppers, bake 10 minutes, take
them out and pour tomato sauce of your choice over them and bake another 15
minutes or till the peppers are soft. This much stuffing should stuff 4
peppers - we had lots leftover. We had them with carrots saute'd in water
and lightly steamed spinach with lemon juice and black pepper - the lemon
juice gave the whole thing a nice tangy difference and the almonds were nice
and crunchy.

Salgar