Lynn Gifford

Default Need recipe ideas for precooked chicken breasts

Bob Westcott > wrote in message >. ..
> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:15:24 +1100, Kajikit >
> wrote:
>
> >Because this week was supposed to be warm to hot (it was supposed to
> >be 37C on Sunday!) we were organised and I cooked potato salad and
> >panfried some chicken breasts on saturday night so we could have salad
> >on the 'hot' days without having to use the stove and heat up the
> >kitchen... only then it turned out to be darned cold (it's barely
> >hitting 20) and it's going to stay that way! I've been eating potato
> >salad sandwiches (potato salad and ham is yummy!) but I need something
> >to do with the chicken... It's much too cold to sit there and face a
> >plate of lettuce in the evening. Any ideas?
> >
> >~Karen AKA Kajikit
> >
> >Nobody outstubborns a cat...
> >
> >Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

> Well, I envy you your weather (we're hoping to hit -10C, the warmest
> its been for a week.... anyhow... what to do with cooked chicken
> breasts..
>
> 1) Get some nice rustic rolls and some pesto sauce.... makes a real
> nice sandwich
>
> 2) Big flour tortilla, shredded cheddar, maybe some onion slices... do
> it up as a quesadilla
>
> 3) Marinara sauce and mozzarella...
>
> 4) cut into small cubes and chuck into an oriental stir fry
>
> 5) make chicken pot pies
>

> Bob

Here are three recipes for pre-cooked deli chicken (off the
rotisserie). They're from a food column I used to write in a previous
life
Lynn froTex-Mex Chicken Fajita in a Pita

One deli roasted whole chicken
4 pita or pocket breads
Shredded iceberg lettuce or salad-in-a-bag
1 cup shredded Colby or jack cheese
Salsa (from a jar or homemade)
1 avocado peeled and sliced
Sour cream (regular, low-fat or no-fat)
Sliced ripe olives
Sliced green onions

Pull meat off the chicken and shred or slice into bite-size pieces.
Halve pita breads across and open into pockets. Stuff each pita half
with about 3 tablespoons chicken, a handful of lettuce, some cheese
and a spoonful of salsa. Pass other ingredients at the table. Serves
four to six with leftovers.

Greek Chicken Salad

One deli-roasted whole chicken
4 to 6 cups torn greens or salad-in-a-bag
2 ripe tomatoes cut in wedges
1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
1/2 cup Greek olives (or substitute black or stuffed green olives)
4 green onions,sliced
Balsamic vinaigrette (homemade or bottled, the new Kraft® Greek
vinaigrette is good.)

Pull meat off the chicken and shred or slice into bite-size pieces. On
individual plates, place about a cup of mixed greens. Top with
shredded chicken. Arrange about 4 tomato wedges on the edge of each
plate. Add olives and sprinkle with feta and green onions. Pass
vinaigrette at the table. Serve with good French or Italian bread or
fresh bread sticks. Serves four to six.

Chicken Pasta Salad with Grapes

One deli-roasted whole chicken
4 cups cooked pasta (shells, penne, rotini etc.)
1 cup regular or light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
2 cups seedless grapes
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup thinly sliced green or red bell pepper
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds

Pull meat off the chicken and shred or slice into bite-size pieces.
Mix mayonnaise, lemon juice and celery seed. Toss with remaining
ingredients. Serves four to six as a main course

Lynn from Fargo