Dana H. Myers

cc0112453 wrote:
> I'm in need of some expert help. I'm trying to get my pulled pork thing
> down for an upcoming birthday party. I figured, what could be easier? I
> can already do ribs, roasts and chicken. Should be a piece of cake. Wrong!
> I went to the store today and picked up a three pound, boneless, pork
> shoulder roast and a small sirloin tip roast just because it looked so damn
> good. I put some rub on the pair and let them sit in the frig overnight.
> About 11am I got them out, gave them another dose of rub and let them come
> up to room temp. Meanwhile I got the charcoal going. It was a little cool
> today but not bad. I had to put a blanket around the smoker to get it up to
> 125 where it stayed for about four hours and then began drop off slowly. It
> was getting close to dinner time, the meat was already up to 145 so I
> figured I'd finish it in the oven. Cranked up the gas range in the kitchen,
> put the meat in and brought the beef up to 160 before removing it. The pork
> was not showing any signs of coming apart so I left it in for another hour
> and brought it out when it hit 175. I tried to pull it but it was more like
> the beef in consistency. It didn't want to come apart. I even broke it
> into smaller chunks and put it back in for another half hour but it was
> still holding together. I finally gave up because everyone was getting
> hungry and served it as is. Turned out to be pretty tasty but no pulled
> pork sandwiches. Waaaah! Where did I go wrong?

trying too hard. I used to do that. It's easy.

Fight the urge to try too hard. Get the meat out of fridge,
pat it dry, apply your rub moderately, brush with oil, cover
loosely with plastic wrap and work on your fire while the meat
comes up to near room-temp.

Cook it until it pulls. Around 190F if you use a thermometer like I
do.

Drink a lot of beer or good local Syrah while the meat cooks.

Dana