Martin Field

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:12:43 +1100, "Martin Field"
> > wrote:
>

>>> 2) Do French and Australian chaptalize or dose their
>>> wine
>>> to achieve that
>>> bone-dry-high alcohol style?

>>snip
>>
>>Chaptalisation is forbidden in Australia. See
>>http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/food...m#_FSCchapter4
>>for premitted additives to Australian wine.

> Ooops, sorry Martin. Now chips, are they OK?
>

> Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Hi Mike - Oak chips are used - usually in high volume el
cheapo reds. Isinglass - (boiled down sturgeon bladders
from memory) is also used in fining wine. So imagine, in one
bottle you can have fish and chips and a sprinkling of
vinegar (in wine jargon - volatile acidity measured as
acetic acid).

Cheers!
Martin

PS - I prefer my reds unfiltered unfined and
unsophisticated.