Bi!!

Ian Hoare wrote:
> Salut/Hi Andy,
>
> le/on 5 Mar 2005 18:04:18 -0800, tu disais/you said:-
>

> >Mike Tommasi wrote:

particular

expensive

> >> Apparently not, otherwise you would not have over 600 of these

things
> >> in France's top two wine areas.

> I don't know whether 600 machines in the thousands of estates counts

as a
> significant but I do know that their usage is "tolerated" not

encouraged.
> However, in a year where rain during harvest has diluted the crop,

and where
> otherwise chaptalisation would have to be practiced to increase the

alcohol
> level, I can understand the temptation.
>
> >I understand reverse osmosis is used more than most winemakers are
> >willing to admit,

Ian,
During my visit to Bordeaux last year, virtually every Chateau that
we visited, Margaux, Mouton, both Pichons, Lynch Bages, Cos d'Estornel,
Pavie, Mondotte, etc. were quite vocal about the use of RO,
concentrators, rotogravure (sp), micro-oxygenation, and all sorts of
techniques to get more concentration, higher alcohol and softer tannins
from their wines. Basically they shrugged (the French shrug) and said
"it is what the market wants so that is what we give". Given all of
the agricultral regulations they felt that technology gave them the
tools that they needed to compete. They also felt that the higher
alcohol levels gave a richer mouthfeel and a bigger flavor to the
wines. While all declined comment on pricing they all recognized that
in order to compete in a world market that things had to change and
most conversations started and ended with the French shrug. For the
uninitiated the French shrug is a body movement where the shoulders
move upwards towards the ears while the head moves down into the
shoulders. This is accompanied by a palms up gesture, a slight rolling
of the eyes to the side and a slight exhale through pursed lips
prducing a soft "puh" sound. I found it to be fairly universal in
France and is used to start and end many conversations...:-) "puh"