AyTee

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2005 09:33:32 -0800, "AyTee" > wrote:
>
> >>I might add that with the appearance of reverse osmosis machines by
> >>the thousands in France and elsewhere in Europe, chaptalization may
> >>have become an obsolete enrichemnt scheme, way too expensive

compared
> >>to renting an osmosis truck for the day...

> >Can that be true? Sugar more expensive than RO? I have no particular
> >objection to RO, but it is my understanding that it is an expensive
> >process.

> Apparently not, otherwise you would not have over 600 of these things
> in France's top two wine areas.

I understand reverse osmosis is used more than most winemakers are
willing to admit, and that it is usually used to remove volatile
acidity, or to decrease alcohol concentration to below 14 percent for
tax purposes. In America, that is -- Europe may be different. Can it
also be used to increase alcohol?

Andy