Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Bill Loftin,

le/on Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:27:01 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

> There was one point made in the article that I had not heard before. Parker
>states that when his newsletter first got started that British writers dominated
>wine publications.

True.

> Then he went on to say that most of them were in the wine business and were not exactly impartial.

That's interesting, but I'm not sure how true it is. When did he start? 25
years ago was it? I don't remember ,it was in the interview. But trying to
think back, who was around? I have always questioned Decanter's
impartiality, but they merely (as far as I could see) puffed the companies
that advertised with them. But there's a wide difference between that and
saying that individual writers were biased because they were in the biz
(presumably as PR consultants to wine firms/domaines. That happens - even
today (in Australia too, I believe) - though most writers can't afford to
lose their status by taints of bias. I don't think RP was right in saying
this.
>in the publication of his newsletter was to always be impartial and he has gone
>to great lengths to do that.

That's certainly true, and he's exemplary in that respect.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare