A. J. Rawls

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:59:19 -0600, "Matthew Givens"
> wrote:

>I have a white zin kit I fermented to dryness (0.998), and want to sweeten
>it to a semi-sweet. Is there an SG chart showing approx readings for dry,
>semi-dry, semi-sweet, and sweet? I know adding sugar will change the SG,
>but besides just tasting it I don't know how much sugar to add to get it to
>the semi-sweet neighborhood.
>
>So, is there a chart?

G47. SWEETENING WINE

There are many ways of sweetening your wine.

A) When your wine has reached about 1.000, put in your sulphite,
sorbate and clearing agent. This will usually give you only a slightly
sweet wine.
B) Ferment your wine dry, then stabilize it with your sulphite and
sorbate, and add your clearing agent. Filter the wine. Then add a 2:1
sugar/water (or wine) syrup that contains sulphite and sorbate.
C) Add some glycerine. This technically won't sweeten the wine but it
will add to your perception of sweetness.
D) Blend the stabilized wine with a stable over sweet wine.
E) Add sugar to the wine just before serving. Two teaspoons per bottle
will increase the sugar content by 1%, and 4% will approximate port.

As far as what degree of sweetness you want, add a little bit at a
time,
and stop when it tastes like it could use just a bit more.

Sweetness:

< 0.5%; <1.000 SG; 1 = dry
< 3%; <1.010 SG; 2 = medium dry
< 5.5%; <1.020 SG; 3 = medium sweet
< 8%; <1.030 SG; 4 = sweet
<10.5%; <1.040 SG; 5 = dessert

1.23oz of sugar/gallon raises your brix One point.

http://www.malak.ca/rcw.faq