Charles Perry

" wrote:

> Oh well -- I wish to hell someone made some affordable steam/misting
> ovens that worked

A while ago, a poster of some knowledge wrote of simulating a
brick oven with an electric wall mount unit. He used a kiln
shelf or home made refractory cement slab for thermal mass and
blocked the oven vent to retain steam given off by the bread.
IIRC he claimed it was better than a Cloche. At least you could
bake a batard in it. With a Cloche you are limited to one boule
at a time. Well, two if you have a double oven and two Cloche.

Ovens that inject steam are just tring to simulate the baking
environment of a brick or earthen oven where the steam is
retained from the baked goods because of limited venting. Mostly
those that have them, swear by them. Those that don't have
varied opinions. I can tell you that it is just like most
everything else. In your quest for perfect anything, the last 10
percent will cost you 90 percent of the total time, money and
effort and you will still miss the mark.

Almost always, only your dog, cat, and humans with trained
tasters will be able to tell the difference. The dog doesn't
care. 95 to 98 percent of the humans don't care. How much are
you will to spend to please yourself and your cat?

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry