Ferret

Mike wrote:

> Keep in mind that this event is not likely to be attended by any
> finely-honed coffee palates. My wife and I, on the other hand, would
> like to enjoy it.
>
> Any ideas and/or experiences you could relate would be a big help.

First off, I wouldn't waste top end home roasted coffee. Get some
commercial whole bean and grind it yourself. That's about the best that
will make much difference. I wouldn't use a darker roast either. The
chances are the coffee will get more bitter throughout the evening so
something relatively mild would be good. Try to time it so the brewing
finishes as close to the start of serving as possible. If it's going to
sit for hours and be served the whole time, add a few pinches of salt to
the grounds before brewing. I don't know the science behind this, but it
seems to keep the coffee less bitter for a longer time when being kept warm.