Moro Grubb of Little Delving

"smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message

> VERY OT: But between kili and all of you other clever people. I am
> looking for some real computer help.TIA!
>
> A bunch of people are abusing my domain address. I get at least 500
> spams every morning when I open my computer. They are all "return to
> sender" and during the course of a day this goes up to 1000 pieces of
> email without exaggeration.

Happened to me too, on my private domain. Reason is that Sendmail and other
mail forwarding software has been enhanced to verify that the "from" address
is valid, before accepting mail. This is done to thwart the spammers who
would fake out return addresses. So now the spammers have to find real
"from" addresses to use, albeit someone else's. So like you, I was getting a
ton of bounces, all with fake usernames @<mydomain>.com.

What I did is remove the catch-all setting from my domain mail forwarding
(i.e. anything at mydomain.com would get forwarded to my mailbox). Now only
specific usernames are accepted as legitimate addresses, and everything else
bounces with "unknown recipient". So my domain is effectively useless to
spammers, unless they figure out my real username.

In short, be selective about which usernames at your domain you accept.

As regards spam sent to me, I use K-9 from www.keir.net to flag any detected
incoming spam. Its free, and smart, and you teach it to be smarter whenever
it lets a baddie through. Used it for a couple years now, and it works
great.

HTH

/MGolD

M Grubb of Little Delving, Esq.
"You only get to choose what you read, not what I write"