Brick

On 17-Feb-2005, "Johnny Mc" > wrote:

> Well, I have a wild pork roast about 5 to 6 lbs in size. It is just
> labeled
> HAM, but it is not cured. I want to smoke it like I did the ribs you guys
> taught me how to do. The pork tastes a little wild, so it needs to have
> lots
> of seasoning.
>
> Here is what I am planning:
> 1) Soak over night in buttermilk to help with the wild taste
> 2) Inject with seasoning, not sure what I should use?????
> 3) Rub seasoning on the outside
> 4) Smoke on my $99 sunbeam grill at 250F for 6 to 8 hours
> 5) paint on BBQ sauce the last 30 min.
>
> Any suggestions?
> --
>
> I Brew My Own Damn Beer!
> Johnny Mc
>
> To E-mail me, get rid of the "BAD-BEER"
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't help you with seasoning suggestions. Too much personal
preference involved there. But I would take a good look at how much
fat and connective tissue content that piece of meat has. I'd compare
it with a commercial pork butt or shoulder and then decide how to cook it.
Low and slow works fine with fat meat, but is a no-no for lean cuts.
Considering that that was/is a wild hog, it's probably not very fat if at
all. If it compares in texture to a commercial port butt, I'd cook it slow.
But, if it's pretty lean like a commercial pork loin, I'd shift gears and
sear it really good over very hot direct heat and then finish it indirect
at about 300° to 350°. Having no idea what you can do with that
Sunbeam grill, that's the best I can do.

Brick (I've made enough mistakes to know what doesn't work)